[rescue] Stumbled on this pdp8/m? on ebay...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Sat May 26 00:01:59 CDT 2007

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. writes ...

> Although if there are any Apple II heads out there that have a
> PDP8 I,E,F, or M (or possibly an A) and would like a Corvus
> (it's a 5 or 10M) hard drive unit, two controller cards (it
> works with multiple macs simultaneously), the 'network'
> unit, and mirror unit (back up your HD to a VCR) along with
> all the manuals and diskettes I got with it... I'd trade.

Brings back memories, it does.

In 1979, $ORK-of-the-day got a Corvus Constellation set-up.  Because of its
huge 5 MB capacity, we connected it to three TRS-80 Mod II computers so we
could share it.  In addition to the massive storage size, the thing was
physically pretty big, too.  I don't remember what sort of hard drive was in
the thing, but there were still 14" HDs around, and the Corvus box was
borderline-big-enough to have had one in it.

Oh, yeah.  The price.  $5,000 and some change.  One thousand dollars per
megabyte.

-Shel

PS:  The Corvus, and, for that matter, the TRS-80 Mod II and CP/M, were a
great improvement over the CRAM cards, vacuum tubes and wound core in the
first computer I worked on.

PPS:  Don't even bother with the "you had ones?!" routines.