[rescue] Amiga videos online for your enjoyment

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu May 24 00:06:27 CDT 2007

velociraptor wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> Kickstart doesn't work that way--it's image based like Ghost.  Use
>>> 'flar' (flash archives) with Jumpstart, and you'll have pretty much
>>> the same deal.
>>>
>> Sorry, but that's simply not correct. Kickstart (as used by Red
>> Hat/Fedora) is not image based. It is merely automation for the
>> installer program anaconda.
>>

> Thanks for the correction, but I imagine it doesn't use something as
> antiquated as a shell script around each and every package it
> installs, either, right? :-)

well.... anaconda is written in python, a scripting language....  and if
the rpms
have %pre and or %post sections that stuff has to get executed...

also, although I haven't checked it, it is likely that anaconda launches rpm
(vs reimplementing or using a library version of it).... but I've never
checked
this.

I haven't done Jumpstart since Solaris 8... but I seem to recall it was
pretty
speedy (in comparison to an interactive install).  Now if Sun has integrated
their java installation stuff into Jumpstart... I can see that slowing
things
down.

-- Curt