[rescue] Amiga videos online for your enjoyment

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed May 23 18:20:28 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 16:05 -0700, velociraptor wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Kickstart doesn't work that way--it's image based like Ghost.  Use
> > > 'flar' (flash archives) with Jumpstart, and you'll have pretty much
> > > the same deal.
> >
> > Sorry, but that's simply not correct. Kickstart (as used by Red
> > Hat/Fedora) is not image based. It is merely automation for the
> > installer program anaconda.
>
> Thanks for the correction, but I imagine it doesn't use something as
> antiquated as a shell script around each and every package it
> installs, either, right? :-)

No, that is true. :)

If you think of the installer as merely an application which asks a
series of questions (e.g. "which packages do you want to install", "how
do you want to partition your disk", "what kind of firewall would you
like"), then kickstart is merely the answers to those questions, which
can be fed to the installer to provide a totally hands-off installation.

~spot