[rescue] Suns vs PCs (WAS Re: Amiga videos online for your enjoyment)

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Wed May 23 23:31:27 CDT 2007

> Spoken like a man who doesn't have to watch an RS/6000 system
> ( p570 ) POST. Or an HP-UX box for that matter. Makes the glacial Sun
> kit POST seem like racing in across the salt flats in a rocket-
> propelled, monkey-driven vehicle.

It's a UNIX workstation/server. It isn't supposed to be turned off
unless you're doing something with the hardware (that said I do keep
mine off- noise, heat & electricity use are a bit too much to keep them
on).
RS/6k, HP9k, and Sun (with diag-config? on) are slow for a reason- they
check and double-check just about everything they can so failing bits
can be found before they die at a critical moment. Once they're running
it's a different matter- look at the Power6 benchmarks. While the
machine is running, look at the purpose - Suns (like VAXes) aren't
designed to be SPEC-monsters, they do move data around very well,
though.

Remember that people don't by x86-PCs because the design is technically
excellent- they're bought because they're cheap yet passable.