[rescue] fwd: Linux Foundation Prepares For Microsoft's Legal Action

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Mon May 21 09:18:09 CDT 2007

> Penetration of hard disks and/or monitors was probably less than 10% in the
> UK market. Most people had fairly basic units plugged into the telly with a
> pile of copied games.

Yea, true. Most of the demos and games I saw required booting from floppy
anyways, as I guess they didn't need the operating system and did direct
hardware talk. Some PC games were this way, but many of them weren't
(Sierra Online, etc).

> The PC *needed* a monitor and hard drive, which made the upfront investment
> that much greater. An Amiga could be bought with pocket money and paper
> rounds, unlike a PC.

Actually, my first PC (Tandy 1000sx) had a composite output which you
could feed a RF modulator, if you were mad :-)

As far as I remember tho, the A2000 was competing against 386 PCs.

The A3000 was more in line with the 386 systems, of course.