[rescue] Curses, foiled again

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun May 20 19:55:49 CDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:39:03AM +0100, Mark wrote:
> What type of ScnaDoubler have you go on the 2000 you started out
> with? If it's fitted in the video slot (opposite side of the PSU to
> all the other slots on it's own - where the Video Toaster is fitted
> on 2000s) then it may work in the 4000's video slot, although you'll
> have to remove the backplane and support in some other way (fwiw my
> 4000's SD has no backplane and seems to stay put fairly well).

Won't work - the one in the 2000 is one of the "remove video chip from
motherboard socket, plug chip into board, plug board into socket" types:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/480626683

> Also - be aware that rigging a 23-pin to 15-pin RGB monitor cable is
> zero use unless you have a multiscan that will scan down to NTSC TV
> resolution refresh rates. FWIW the 23-pin to 9-pin carries all the
> conductors required, and so rigging a 9-15 tail will probably be a
> much more cost effective and easy to build solution if you want to
> adapt the cable.

I'm aware of this - if my existing monitor won't sync down that far, I'll
just have to hold off doing any work on the A4000 until I can get a monitor
that does, or find an old 1080/1084 for cheap (as I can't put any more
money into Amiga stuff for the time being).

I've got a source for a Picasso IV board, but the seller wants $160 and
I don't have that kind of money spare right now for "toys", and couldn't
justify it if I did..

Bill

--
Bill Bradford