[rescue] mt erase

Kevin Foote kevin.foote at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:25:32 CDT 2007

hi all
i figured there is enough old *nix knowledge on this list to post this
question.

im wondering what the mt erase option actually does? does it write zeros
till the tape end ??

is this a valid way to erase tapes for further use by a separate department
within the same organization?? a degausser would be nice but we dont
want to spring for one .. :-) hence my maybe solution of mt erase

I have googled and come up with nothing .. i guess I could download the
source and take that a part if needed. Thanks for any help. Its fine to
email
off list as well.

--
:wq!