[rescue] Anyone need any three foot patch cables?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 28 10:24:14 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
>
>> Sounds like it's the opposite of the situation I had at Cardima when I
>> first started ... 72-port Asante hub and patch panel right next to each
>> other.  They could quite happily have been wired with 3' cables.
>> Instead, whoever put the setup together used only 14' cables.  Some of
>> the cables were wrapped three complete turns around the cable guides on
>> the hub.  Never mind tracing connections to the hub; you could barely
>> even SEE it behind the arm-thick reams of CAT5.
>
> Ye gods! A 72 port HUB! Oh the collision cloud, oh the humanity!!

No kidding.  There were times I saw the collision rate over 50% for
minutes at a time.  After about a year or so of that, I was ablew to
talk them into letting me rebuild the network using (mostly) switches.

(It would have been all switched, but I got nickel-and-dimed on it.)

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.