[rescue] URGENT: SCSI RAID

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 21:12:17 CDT 2007

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Phil Brutsche wrote:
>
>> ajones wrote:
>>> PERC 2 and PERC 3 were Adaptec. They used Linux's "aacraid" driver.
>> Negative, it depends on the model of PERC.
>>
>> All PERC2s I have seen are Adaptec
>>
>> A PERC3/SC is LSI
>>
>> A PERC3/DI (ie integrated RAID on x6xx-series and x7xx Dell
>> PowerEdges)
>> is Adaptec
>>
>> All PERC4s are LSI
>>
>> All PERC5s are LSI
>>
>> etc
>
> So, is there a particular reason for not wanting a LSI RAID
> controller (I realize it was Shridhar and not you Phil)?  I've been
> preferring LSI to Adaptec in general these past number of years, but
> am I wrong about what's better?  And where does Qlogic rate?

AFAIK, Qlogic is now LSI Logic, and the AMI/LSI cards use Qlogic SCSI chips.

The problems I've had with MegaRAID cards have been due to durability.
I've had a little power flutter take them out.  These machines are on a
UPS, but better safe than sorry.

Actually, I've had the best luck with Mylex, but the newer Mylex cards
seem to be a bit pricey.  I have pretty good experiences with IBM
ServeRAID cards too, but they're not supported in NetBSD.

Peace...  Sridhar