[rescue] Best brains: Â Dead keyboa rd ports on PC hardware

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Fri Jun 22 18:44:11 CDT 2007

At 05:51 PM 6/22/2007, nate at portents.com wrote:

> > Can anyone confirm that win2k pro (not server) will support more than two
> > cores?
>
>Sheesh, since you don't believe me:
>
>http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1490

I didn't see anything about Win2k there.  Or in the linked Ray Chen
blog and comments.  Or in the referenced MS license page.

I thought win2k pre-dated all the x86 multicore CPUs, so I wasn't
sure if it was smart enough to distinguish between cores and
sockets.  It's good to know that it does.  (I'm trying to talk myself
into building up a new box, and I really don't want to run XP.)

I was hoping that someone might have seen a Win2k pro system running
on a dual-dual (or even a dual-quad!), just as confirmation of your statements.

thanks!
newell