[rescue] Best brains: Â Dead keyboard ports on PC hardware

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Jun 22 17:51:18 CDT 2007

> At 10:23 AM 6/19/2007 , nate at portents.com wrote:
>>> Win2KPro (Workstation) supports 1-2 CPUs, so yes.
>>
>>While the label/license describes them as CPUs, a more appropriate way to
>>think about it is CPU sockets, because that is how it works.  I.E. Win 2k
>>Pro will currently support up to eight CPU cores (two quad-core
>> processors
>>in a dual socket 771 board for instance).  Likewise XP Home will support
>
> Can anyone confirm that win2k pro (not server) will support more than two
> cores?

Sheesh, since you don't believe me:

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1490

Personally I've run XP Pro (licensed for "1-2 CPUs") with both a single
quad core and dual dual cores.  Don't have any dual quad core systems to
try it on, but plenty of people have done it.

Windows 2000 Pro is licensed the exact same way as XP Pro, and works the
same.

XP Home is licensed for "1 CPU", so right now the best you could do is one
quad core (also a dual core Pentium 4 Extreme Edition would show up as
four cores because it has Hyperthreading, as do some Xeons, and one of
those would also work fine in XP Home).

- Nate