[rescue] Burning IRIX boot disks

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jun 20 17:01:09 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 02:46:11PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> However, using cdrecord on an SGI I made a bootable dsk from the same ISO
> image.  Since my Windows PC won't _read_ that working disk, I suspected that
> it couldn't write it, either.  Since you say it can, and I know bootable SGI
> disks have been made on PCs (although how, I didn't know), I suspect there's
> another factor at play here.

I do it all the time with HFS (Macintosh internal format) CD's using
burnatonce. It's really a Windows front end for CDRDAO. Windows XP
gets so upset about them, that it won't even show they are in the drive.

Burnatonce reads them into bin/toc files and writes them with no
problem. Note that some disks may need to be read in raw mode
which reads subchannel data too.

Most of the time, the "raw" bin files can be converted with an *NIX utility
called bin2iso (and there is windows version from a different author) which
drops the subchannel data. I use it often because burnatonce gets upset
if a disk ends before the ISO standard says it should (even number of
blocks).

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838