[rescue] E4000 Problem

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Wed Jun 20 02:32:23 CDT 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Michael Vergallen wrote:

>> I've gotten a report of prtdiag for the first time... it states Board 1
>>
>> : Overtemp ... The question is what can I do about this? I will check
>> the fans on the PSU's later today.
>
> Yep as I guessed the PSU's where dirty as hell... I've cleaned them and
> that did the trick ...however how do you remove the plastic side pannels
> on a E4000 to clean the air intake next to the fans because I can't
> reach the dirt that has built up over time...

You need to remove the front bezel at the top first, then the sides.  The
Enterprise 4000 Rackmount Guide is useful:

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/pdf/802-7249-11.pdf

Note that those side panels can require a bit of "encouragement" to slide
them back.  As a graduate of the Arthur Fonzarelli School of Systems
Administration, I suggest a firm, controlled whack with the heel of your
hand to slide the side panels back (as the guide suggests, about 3/4").
Then they pop right off.[1]

And be sure, of course, to have a power/cooling module installed for every
two slots that are populated.  The side-to-side cooling of the E4x00's are
their only serious flaw, marring an otherwise great server.

Cheers,

-- Chris

[1] The first time we were confronted with the same problem of removing
the side panels, I said "Hmmm, what would the Fonz do?" and then proceeded
to give the right panel a whack.  It popped right off.  My coworkers were
impressed, but I was teased endlessly about the Fonz reference after that.