[rescue] Best brains: Dead keyboard ports on PC hardware

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 19 10:03:07 CDT 2007

Mike Hebel wrote:
> In a fit of angst Sridhar Ayengar gargled the following:
>> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> Oh ...   it just occurred to me that the problem here is until the USB
>>> card is "installed" by Windows, there'll be no way to respond to the
>>> dialogs Windows throws up in the course of installing it.
>> The PS/2 mouse doesn't work for that purpose?
>
> Both ports are toast.  Though there's an interesting idea...a PCI USB card
> and a Microsoft serial mouse would allow him to solve his problem.  The
> mouse should be immediately recognized and used and that will allow him to
> install the USB drivers.

That's a thought, if I had a serial mouse.  What I *might* have is a
PS/2-to-serial adapter.

It's worth a shot, at any rate.  I'll have to find an adapter and the
USB card I think I have.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.