[rescue] Best brains: Dead keyboard ports on PC hardware

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Jun 19 09:51:27 CDT 2007

In a fit of angst Sridhar Ayengar gargled the following:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> That's worth a try.  I think I may have a PCI USB2.0 card around here
>>> someplace, if I can just find it.  I thought of putting in a PCI PS/2
>>> card if I could find such a thing, but was concerned that even if I
>>> could, it might conflict with the existing failed hardware.  The USB
>>> card idea might well work, though.
>>
>> Oh ...   it just occurred to me that the problem here is until the USB
>> card is "installed" by Windows, there'll be no way to respond to the
>> dialogs Windows throws up in the course of installing it.
>
> The PS/2 mouse doesn't work for that purpose?

Both ports are toast.  Though there's an interesting idea...a PCI USB card
and a Microsoft serial mouse would allow him to solve his problem.  The
mouse should be immediately recognized and used and that will allow him to
install the USB drivers.

Mike Hebel
----
See with eyes unclouded, Think with mind uncluttered, Act with heart
unchained!