[rescue] Best brains: Dead keyboard ports on PC hardware

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 19 09:27:05 CDT 2007

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 09:02:45AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> When USB is "disabled" at the MB level, the OS won't se the USB hardware
>> attached (the port is, uhm, "disabled").
>>
>> Besides, there is no conclusive statement that the MB supports USB keybaord/
>> mouse at the BIOS level if it were enabled...
>
> Stick in a USB PCI card that is supported by W2K. When it boots, Windows
> will see your keyboard and mouse.

That's worth a try.  I think I may have a PCI USB2.0 card around here
someplace, if I can just find it.  I thought of putting in a PCI PS/2
card if I could find such a thing, but was concerned that even if I
could, it might conflict with the existing failed hardware.  The USB
card idea might well work, though.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.