[rescue] AmigaOS 3.1 Install Disk

Ronald Gilchrist unixrescue at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:36:30 CDT 2007

On 6/16/07, Mark wrote:

> In WinUAE it's very well supported. In E-UAE it needs either class
> A .uaerc hacking skills (that I don't have) or a UI that supports
> using hardfiles. On OS X it's totally possible (using the 'HiTorro'
> support UI), elsewhere I don't know the ins and outs.

Well, I read through all the READMEs in the source code and found a
relevant bit. I I used a

dd if=/dev/zero of=wb31.hdf bs=512 count=81920

to make a nice 40MB empty file. Then put in the

hardfile=rw,32,1,2,wb31.hdf

line in the .uaerc file and it found it! Woot!

Initially it wasn't finding it, but that was because I was supplying
the wrong file name. :-\

Now all I really need to do is get the proper geometry off my friend
for his hdd and I can make an image to match his actual drive. (I
don't think he'd have 32 sectors per track, 1 head/surface, 2 reserved
blocks on his drive)

Or, I could try pointing the 'hardfile' at the raw /dev/hd* device
(assuming he has an IDE hdd in his A1200)

Also, I tried E-UAE, and performance was lacklustre at best. UAE is
much better performing.

Thanks all,

RG