[rescue] USB KVM with my Octane: possible?

Mon Jun 18 18:06:18 CDT 2007

>> I have in front of me right now a small device with a PS2 plug (ie,
>> the sex found on the end of a PS2 mouse/keyboard cable) and a USB
>> socket (ie, the sex found on computers).  It's mouse rather than
>> keyboard [...]
> Yes, I have one of those too, right in front of me.  In fact, I was
> going to offer it [...], but then I realized it wouldn't help when I
> worked out where the plugs go.

> What I'm talking about would have a USB socket (or two) of the
> opposite sex as found on a computer, and the PS/2 plugs would plug
> into the computer.

So you could plug either end of it into a computer?  I'm not sure what
that would be good for, unless you want to connect one computer's USB
port to another computer's keyboard/mouse port.

>> Now, whether it actually has the smarts it should, instead of just
>> provoking a usually-USB mouse into flipping over into PS2-compat
>> mode, as someone said sometimes happens, I'm not competent to
>> comment on.
> They do have the needed smarts -- they convert a PS/2 keyboard and
> mouse into USB devices.

How?  There's nowhere to plug a mouse (or keyboard) into it; the PS/2
connector is the wrong sex for that.  Also, the USB connector is the
wrong sex to plug into a computer (or hub), so I'm not sure how you
could use it as a USB device.

Now I'm just confused.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign