[rescue] USB KVM with my Octane: possible?

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Mon Jun 18 15:50:57 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 03:39:27PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

| > Well, that sounds like the right answer, but all the PS/2<->USB
| > adapters I have take a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and adapt them to a
| > USB computer.  What you need is the opposite -- something to adapt a
| > USB keyboard and mouse to a PS/2 computer.
|
| > I've never seen an adapter like that.
|
| I have, or close.  I have in front of me right now a small device with
| a PS2 plug (ie, the sex found on the end of a PS2 mouse/keyboard cable)
| and a USB socket (ie, the sex found on computers).  It's mouse rather
| than keyboard - molded into the plastic is a small mouse drawing - but
| if they can do it for a mouse, they can do it for a keyboard. :)

Yes, I have one of those too, right in front of me.  In fact, I was
going to offer it to Micah (since he's just a few miles away and I was
headed there anyways), but then I realized it wouldn't help when I
worked out where the plugs go.

What I'm talking about would have a USB socket (or two) of the
opposite sex as found on a computer, and the PS/2 plugs would plug
into the computer.

I use an adapter like you have on my Mac to plug it into my PS/2 KVM.
Works OK, but he needs the opposite, and I've never seen that.

| Now, whether it actually has the smarts it should, instead of just
| provoking a usually-USB mouse into flipping over into PS2-compat mode,
| as someone said sometimes happens, I'm not competent to comment on.

They do have the needed smarts -- they convert a PS/2 keyboard and
mouse into USB devices.  But they can't convert a USB mouse and
keyboard into a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
Resistance is futile - you will be assimilated!