[rescue] SGI ORIGIN 3800 SUPERCOMPUTER

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Jun 15 20:12:55 CDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 08:45:10PM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> Origin 2000s... are about... the COOLEST machine you can get that is the
> friendliest! The SGI Challenge XL and Origin 2000 systems were not overly
> heavy boxes, they were built much lighter than IBM "big iron" and Sun
> boxes. This isn't to say the O2K is uber cheap, it's just a bit more
> cuddly. And it looks sweet too.

My first "BIG iron" SGI was an Origin 2000 that I setup when I worked for
Comco (http://www.tx.altair.com/) back in '98-99.  "Oh yeah, just stick it
in an empty office and close the door.."

Power supply failed after about three months, DAMN that thing was huge and
heavy to pull out.

Oh wow, Comco's web page hasn't changed in almost ten years.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas