[rescue] SFU on Windows, etc (was: Re: OS X is certified UNIX)

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 11:04:55 CDT 2007

Cool, I'll have to check out the SUA hack.

"I've heard that it may be faster than Cygwin as well"

That almost has to be true. There was a weird bug in Cygwin that slows
process creation (may be fork related) waaaay down. It takes like 1/2
to 1 second to spawn a process last time I checked. Make configure
scripts take an eternity.

And yes Xming rocks. At my last job we had a few old 9x machines that
"had" to have windows, but were way too slow for any practical
anti-virus software. So we installed x-ming, had them run firefox on a
linux server via remote X, and then cut them off completely from the
internet. Worked (and still does as far as I know) like a charm.

The only issue I've had with putty is getting the settings right to
forward remote X to xming. Can't get that to work for some reason.

Never heard of console...I'll look that one up....thanks.