[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Jun 13 23:48:06 CDT 2007

On Jun 13, 2007, at 16:04, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> POSIX was a target for Gov't applications, IIRC - so they could, if
> desired, transfer an application from an HP-UX platform to a MS
> platform, or vice versa, but of course, the API was (probably) so
> limited, that it was actually too constrained to support a "real"
> production system...

I was just reading this[0] article on the history of the "POSIX
checkbox" (so-called by the article).

> The Unix "Support"is now included in Windows Server 2003 R2 - it is
> not the Interix bolt-on... They have "embraced" Unix support, to
> allow you to use a Windows 2003 R2 server in a heterogenous
> environment...

SUA is also included in Vista Ultimate and Enterprise. Of course,
they don't include things like Server for NFS. Because - don't be
unreasonable here - if you want to remotely mount your disks, you
should have to buy Windows Server.

[0] http://www.phptr.com/articles/printerfriendly.asp?p=691503