[rescue] AmigaOS 3.1 Install Disk

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jun 11 03:11:00 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 08:28:34AM +0100, Mark wrote:
> This is a good reason why I have about 10 copies of the 3.1 install
> disk (including 2 complete original copies of WB 3.1 disks).

For the very same reason, I've collected as many Macintosh disks as
I could find. Luckily Apple went to 1.4m PC compatible drives around
1990 so you can write boot disks for them with a PC.

Although they dropped 400k/800k floppy support around the turn of the century,
old computers are easy to find, and they kept up the operating system support
for a while longer.

Alas, not for the Amiga. Commodore dropped the ball on that one, by 1990
high density floppy drives were commom, CD-ROM drives were available
(but expensive) and their 800k floppies never were very reliable.

Silly question, could one take a bootable Amiga hard drive, and DD it to
a file on a *NIX system and DD it back to another drive? Does the geometry
have to be the same? Obviously it would still be the same logical size,
but it might be easier than trying to get a floppy written.

Do any of the Amiga emulators support external SCSI drives? Could you boot
a floppy image on the emulator and install it on the drive?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838