[rescue] FS: Intel 460T 24-port managed switch

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 10 19:05:33 CDT 2007

>From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
>Date: 2007/06/10 Sun PM 12:46:39 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] FS: Intel 460T 24-port managed switch

>John Francini wrote:
<snip>

>> o The 600E is also fairly glacial, CPU-wise.  I wonder if there's
>> some sort of bottleneck that prevents you from seeing full speed
>> because the CPU doesn't have enough cycles to get data to/from the
>> card quickly enough?
>
>I'm wondering myself whether that's the basic nature of the problem.
>This laptop has always been awful on wireless, under any OS, to any AP.
> I'm wondering if it's just plain CPU-bound.  (Or maybe IBM did
>something stupid in the design of the PCMCIA slots, like they did with
>Thinkpad 600 batteries.)

Not sure about the Thinkpad 600E specifically, but I've gotten pretty good performance on a P233 (That's a Pentium "1") laptop with a wireless card (ZyXEL, IIRC) running Win2K.

I'll tinker with it to see what kind of performance I can get later tonight (noting transfer speed when accessing a large file on local server) and report back.

Lionel