[rescue] FS: Intel 460T 24-port managed switch

John Francini francini at mac.com
Sun Jun 10 04:47:05 CDT 2007

I did indeed know that the one commenting on 802.11g speeds was not
the original poster.  I didn't mean to give the impression that I had
conflated the two posts.

However, I believe there's got to be something wrong somewhere in
Phil's (not Patrick's) wireless set-up that accounts for the
ludicrously bad performance.  I get well over 5 mbit/sec on file
transfers on my stock Apple AirPort Extreme, which is some 40 feet
away from where I'm sitting, and is in a neighborhood with at least 4
other wireless networks visible (and therefore potentially
interfering) with mine.

Some questions:

o Are you using SpeedBoost/Afterburner on the AP without having it
enabled on the laptop?

o Is the AP in b/g compatible mode un-necessarily (that is, do you
have older clients that only speak 11b protocol)? Though the
documentation suggests otherwise, I believe that can cause a problem.

o You don't indicate what wireless card you're using. Since the 600E
is an older laptop (at least 8 years according to the ThinkPad Wiki),
it doesn't have internal wireless (or Ethernet for that matter).
What kind of card are you using?

o The 600E is also fairly glacial, CPU-wise.  I wonder if there's
some sort of bottleneck that prevents you from seeing full speed
because the CPU doesn't have enough cycles to get data to/from the
card quickly enough?

Just my $0.02,

John Francini