[rescue] Looking for Ultra-2 parts

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 17:28:01 CDT 2007

>From: Dan Duncan <danduncan at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/06/07 Thu AM 01:50:34 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Looking for Ultra-2 parts

>For space reasons I got rid of my last Sun monitor today (I've gotten
>rid of most of my SPARC hardware and just kept the Ultra 2E) and I'm
>hoping to get a dual VGA/13w3 monitor or use a framebuffer with VGA
>output or an adapter to VGA.  What is likely to be the least painful?

Well, assuming you don't want another Sun monitor with dual interfaces (13W3 and VGA), there are hardwire adapters to convert 13W3 to VGA monitors, allowing you to use any VGA display. There are also hardware adapters (with active electronics in them) that will convert 13W3 to VGA, as well as Sun keyboard to PS/2, KVMs that support 13W3 servers to VGA or 13W3 console (KVM has both ports), and depending on the 13W3 application you have, you may want to upgrade to new framebuffer that has direct VGA/DVI output (really only a choice for PCI UltraSPARCs)...

There are affordable ATEN/IOGear KVMs (2 and 4 port hard-wired) that support USB Suns and VGA displays...

Just a few of the options...

Lionel