[rescue] HPPA hardware question (forwarded from another list)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jun 7 02:06:39 CDT 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> 1.  It can run HPUX and it can also run Linux.
>
> 2.  It will completely spank a fully-equipped E4500 for CPU or
> memory-bound tasks, and probably for IO tasks as well.  Easily double
> the memory bandwidth of E4500.
>
> 3.  You have to be willing to put up with HP's design choices, which
> include odd booting, heavy steel in the chassis (a pain to move
> around), heavy duty power supplies.
>
> There will be not too many PCI cards that will work with this system,
> I think, except perhaps under Linux (though I am not too sure how
> cross-platform Linux's device drivers are).
>
> --Patrick

The L and N class boxes are also fairly high-end.  That machine is
the little brother of the N4000 I think.  The N directly became the
rp74xx series.  There may be some really nice CPU upgrades you can
get for those.  They're far from junk even if they are older.
Anything with a PA-8200 or later isn't junk in my book.

Andrew