[rescue] Old stuff on resumes (was: Personal progressions (was: what to do with a dec alpha 255))

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Fri Jun 1 15:54:09 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 09:34:26AM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

| My resume claims that I've used 25 programming languages on 9 operating
| systems.  If I were looking for a job, I'd probably update that.

My resume probably could list more OSs, but fewer programming
languages (ten seems a more reasonable figure.  Let's see, BASIC (I'll
avoid listing the various flavors), 6502 asm, Pascal, 680x0 asm,
forth, f77, Prolog, C, perl, bourne shell (I won't bother listing
other shells), tcl, java with varying levels of proficiency in each.)

However, it doesn't.  Much of this stuff I haven't touched in so long
I'd be hard pressed to write anything in it now, even if I used to be
really good at it 20 years ago.

For OSes, who cares if I've adminned or used DomainOS?  ConvexOS?
RiscOS?  BeOS?  Even Irix is on the way out, but I'd probably mention
it.

Do people really bother listing every language or OS they've touched
on their resume?  Do employers care?

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't, either.
--Dick Cavett