[rescue] Sun Fire v100 question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 17 20:20:17 CST 2007

>From: Robert Darlington <rdarlington at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/12/17 Mon PM 05:13:17 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] Sun Fire v100 question

>Hi guys,
>
>I picked up a SunFire V100 dirt cheap on eBay, and a second one for
>peanuts for some replacement parts.  The "good" one has a 500MHz
>processor in it, the spare/parts machine has a 550.  Is there an easy
>upgrade, such as a simple processor swap so that I can upgrade my good
>system to a 550MHz box?

I would avoid removing the CPU from a working system unless I was darn certain
I had a meaningful upgrade that was known to work, and honestly, a 10%
increase in clock speed isn't worth the risk of wedging the original system
(IMHO, of course, YMMV).

Why not stuff all the goodies (RAM, disk, etc.) into the spare and make it
your "good" one?

Lionel