[rescue] Spare Sun box for cheap/free?

Mark Hermsdorfer mark at hermsdorfer.net
Fri Dec 14 11:19:02 CST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 11:40 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> >From: Robert Brooke Gravitt <gravitt at gmail.com>
> >Date: 2007/12/13 Thu PM 08:39:41 CST
> >To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> >Subject: [rescue] Spare Sun box for cheap/free?
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >    A colleague at work is looking for a functional Sun box that she
> >can install WebSphere on for learning. She asked me, but the only Sun
> >box I have left is an IPX - which I don't think will run WAS. Anyone
> >local to Atlanta have anything that they'd let go for free/cheap?
> >Shipping was what was keeping her from grabbing something off eBay.
>
> I can put together an Ultra 2 for few dollars over actual shipping...
>
> Couple CPUs, an HD, CD, and a framebuffer - as I read this:
>
> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg27007662
>
> It looks like she may want a faster CPU than an Ultra 2 would have (the
> above
> page says 440 MHz or faster, that implies an Ultra 5/10, Netra t105 level
> machine. Of course, dual 300s in an Ultra 2 could suffice...
>
> I can put together an Ultra 5 or 10 w/IDE and 1 Gig of RAM but I am
> reluctant
> to make it free (the gig of RAM has a fair bit of eBay value still)...
>
> A dual CPU Ultra 60 could be another way to go...
>
> Sorry, if you have a better idea what specific kind of system and what her
> real cash outlay is, I can make a better suggestion.
>
> Lionel

Websphere should run fine on 300Mhz procs... it's the ram you want to watch
out for.  I would not want to put WAS on a server with less than 1GB of RAM,
you might get it going with less but I bet it would be painful... even for a
play environment.

The nodeagent JVM and deployment manager JVM both run 256MB max heap by
default.  Then at least 1 application server JVM is another 128-256MB of max
heap depending on how you configure it.  Of course the JVMs likely won't max
out the heap... particularly on the dmgr and node agent.

--
Cheers!
Mark