[rescue] Spare Sun box for cheap/free?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 13 22:40:15 CST 2007

>From: Robert Brooke Gravitt <gravitt at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/12/13 Thu PM 08:39:41 CST
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] Spare Sun box for cheap/free?

>Hi,
>
>    A colleague at work is looking for a functional Sun box that she
>can install WebSphere on for learning. She asked me, but the only Sun
>box I have left is an IPX - which I don't think will run WAS. Anyone
>local to Atlanta have anything that they'd let go for free/cheap?
>Shipping was what was keeping her from grabbing something off eBay.

I can put together an Ultra 2 for few dollars over actual shipping...

Couple CPUs, an HD, CD, and a framebuffer - as I read this:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg27007662

It looks like she may want a faster CPU than an Ultra 2 would have (the above
page says 440 MHz or faster, that implies an Ultra 5/10, Netra t105 level
machine. Of course, dual 300s in an Ultra 2 could suffice...

I can put together an Ultra 5 or 10 w/IDE and 1 Gig of RAM but I am reluctant
to make it free (the gig of RAM has a fair bit of eBay value still)...

A dual CPU Ultra 60 could be another way to go...

Sorry, if you have a better idea what specific kind of system and what her
real cash outlay is, I can make a better suggestion.

Lionel