[rescue] VS80 DLT tape drive question

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Fri Dec 14 11:05:57 CST 2007

Could be for security reasons.    When I was working in the Pentagon they
had a HUGE device for erasing tapes, hard drives, etc.
It was about 10 feet high, and looked like a big set of drawers with
stainless steel fronts.   You went there with stuff, put it in a drawer and
then went "safely into another room" (if they had enough to zap) to watch.
(You sometimes had to go back later once they had enough of a full load).
When the degaussing field kicked on you could hear the hard drives banging
from the front to the back of the drawers as the field literally slid them
around the drawers.   Very cool, and somewhat scary...

Earl

--- William Enestvedt <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu>