[rescue] IP KVM?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Thu Dec 6 12:02:50 CST 2007

> There's a single chassis fan at the front
> of the case, in the 100mm-120mm range, which I can probably swap out;
> two Pentium-III processor module fans that I doubt I can do much about;
> and an 80mm power supply fan that I also can't do much about.

You should be able to replace all of them, it's just a matter of
difficulty.  (Incidentally, if the power supply is making the most fan
noise and is a standard power supply, I'd recommend taking a close look at
what you're using and consider replacing it with something quieter and
more efficient, which could also save you money in the long run.)

The case fan would be the easiest, followed by the CPU fans, and the power
supply would require dissasembly (voiding any warranty) and perhaps some
soldering (hence probably easier/best to replace the power supply).

If you want quiet and efficient and long life in fans, the first choice
would be Noctua (available at a variety of resellers):

http://www.noctua.at/

Good second choices include fans using Nanometer Ceramic Bearing, like
Gobal Win:

http://www.globalwin.com.tw/products/ncb/index.html

Or fans using the Sony Fluid Dynamic Bearing, such as the Scythe S-Flex line:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

Good fan resellers will cary those, with Noctua being the hardest to find,
generally.

- Nate