[rescue] IP KVM?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Dec 6 11:37:53 CST 2007

Robert Darlington wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Forgive me for completely ignoring your request for info on a KVM.  It
> annoys the heck out of me when people answer questions I didn't ask so
> I apologize in advance for pretty much doing just that (can you tell I
> want to cover my butt here?)
>
> Is there any way you can swap out the fans?  This is probably an order
> of magnitude cheaper than buying a KVM system.  Maybe even put a
> potentiometer in line to so you can adjust the fan speed, or perhaps
> just get another pc (also probably significantly cheaper than buying
> an IP based KVM extender).

Quieter fans are another option I'm looking into, but I don't know how
much latitude I have there.  There's a single chassis fan at the front
of the case, in the 100mm-120mm range, which I can probably swap out;
two Pentium-III processor module fans that I doubt I can do much about;
and an 80mm power supply fan that I also can't do much about.  I don't
know how much difference swapping out just the chassis fan is going to
make (though it does seem a lot noisier than the dual 120mm fans in my
gamebox's chassis).

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
          It's not the years, it's the mileage.