[rescue] Transportation .uk -> .de

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Sun Dec 2 10:38:17 CST 2007

Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> > I'm still in the process of contacting the current owners as I wanted
> > to inform myself beforehand whether I can arrange transportation.
> > Items may be coming from:
> > -Glasgow
>
> Ah, land of the Clockwork Orange and deep-fried pizza. (Deep-fried Mars
> bars are for the English tourists.)

(Sorry, I don't get that reference...) What's lurking there is a MicroVAX 3300, btw.

> > -East London
>
> The E450? You're going to have to collect that in person.

Ahem, move on people, nothing to see here. I mean - scratch that one. I just learned that several of those will become available at University shortly. As somebody already mentioned, hoarding them is not a fulfilling experience to most of us.

> > -Dorset (this one is fairly critical, would have to be collected before
> > Christmas) and would have to be transported to southern Germany
> (Nuremberg
> > area) for some compensation (meal, fuel money, etc).
>
> Note that miles are about 5km long in Dorset, and driving two miles is
> considered quite an achievement :)

So much up and down there that doesn't show on a map? Anyway, I got a mail pointing out that the rescue candidate there (A DEC Alphasystem 2000 4/233) is already cared for.

> > Offers and suggestions welcome.
>
> The most obvious answer would be to acquire a car and take it over on the
> ferry/Eurostar,

Not going to happen anytime soon unless someone tells me how to leave a working replacement of my body here.

> however you've managed to pick about the furthest corners
> of Britain to want stuff from and it's probably about a 2,000km round
> trip, most of which will probably end up on A roads rather than
> motorways.

Sorry if I was being unclear, I was rather asking around for people already planning road trips between one of those locations and Germany and looking for some additional stuff to weigh down their cars.

> You might want to consider how many of these items you really want.

As usual, I was only offering last resort deals on those puters so they don't go to the great smelter if nobody else is interested.

--
Arno Kletzander

Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehvrt?