[rescue] 7043-260 serial console help - no login prompt

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Fri Aug 31 05:29:01 CDT 2007

Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:02:10 -0600
> Scott Mickey <mickey at denver.net> wrote:
>

>> I have an IBM 7043-260 (headless), with a 9600-8-N-1 serial cable on
>> tty0.  Installation of AIX 5.2 goes fine using the serial console, and
>> after  install I am able to telnet into the box OK.  However, I get no
>> login  prompt on the serial cable console.
>>
> I had a similar problem with a SPARC IPX and (IIRC) OpenBSD. Getty

..as did I.  I have a 64 port Xylogics (Nortel) Annex 3 terminal
server.  Ports that would work fine for Linux and Sun boxen stalled AIX
during boot.
I realized that is was an issue with an incomplete null modem setup
(after scratching my head too).  I eventually used a "real terminal
cable" from a HP Terminal, connected to minicom on my linux box.

Good Luck!

/M