[rescue] 7043-260 serial console help - no login prompt

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Aug 31 02:47:05 CDT 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:02:10 -0600
Scott Mickey <mickey at denver.net> wrote:

> I have an IBM 7043-260 (headless), with a 9600-8-N-1 serial cable on
> tty0.  Installation of AIX 5.2 goes fine using the serial console, and
> after  install I am able to telnet into the box OK.  However, I get no
> login  prompt on the serial cable console.
I had a similar problem with a SPARC IPX and (IIRC) OpenBSD. Getty
needed the handshake signals conected. (The original cable connected
only RXD/TXD/GND.) It worked with the folowing pins shorted in the
serial connector:
                 DB25       / DE9
RTS + CTS:       4 + 5      / 7 + 8
DSR + DCD + DTR: 6 + 8 + 20 / 6 + 1 + 4