[rescue] 7043-260 serial console help - no login prompt

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Aug 30 13:42:45 CDT 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007, Scott Mickey wrote:
> Wise Rescuers,
> I have an IBM 7043-260 (headless), with a 9600-8-N-1 serial cable on
> tty0. Installation of AIX 5.2 goes fine using the serial console, and
> after install I am able to telnet into the box OK.  However, I get no
> login prompt on the serial cable console.
> The terminal server hardware I'm using works OK with all Sun SPARC
> and HP PA-RISC machines, and OK with the IBM 7043-260 during install.
>  It appears the IBM serial port changes it's behavior after AIX 5.2
> boots. This web page says this is the case, anyway:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=314384
> I would like to have login access on the serial port in case I ever
> fat finger an `ifconfig` command and loose network access.  I have
> tried a few things, as shown below, but no success yet.  Your help is
> much appreciated.

What does 'lsattr -El tty0 -a logmodes -a runmodes' say?  They should
both have 'clocal' in them.  Also, check that there's a line
in /etc/inittab, to run a getty on /dev/console, like this one:
cons:0123456789:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/console

You might try to do "chcons -a login=enable /dev/tty0", as well.

Pat