[rescue] 7043-260 serial console help - no login prompt

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Thu Aug 30 13:18:16 CDT 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Scott Mickey wrote:

> Wise Rescuers,
> I have an IBM 7043-260 (headless), with a 9600-8-N-1 serial cable
> on tty0. Installation of AIX 5.2 goes fine using the serial
> console, and after install I am able to telnet into the box OK.
> However, I get no login prompt on the serial cable console.

This will happen if you don't have flow control on your cable or
terminal (DSR/DTR/DCR/CD).

Get yourself a "christmas tree tester" from Radio Shack and double
check your port on the terminal server is configured with hardware
flow control.

I am unsure what the minimum is in terms of which lines it's actually
looking at. Do 'em all. It'll start working.

ok
bear