[rescue] DG AViiON kit

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Aug 25 07:45:42 CDT 2007

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, r.stricklin wrote:

> DG/UX 4.3 is contemporary with the first generation of AViiON systems
> circa approximately 1990, and unlikely to support the 8500 (though it
> may). DG/UX 5.4 was released alongside the AV8000 in 1991.

    That's good to know.  I may "give it a go" just for kicks;
if the CPU type isn't recognised it isn't recognised.

> Also, it's in QIC150 format---which, to answer part of SMJ's
> question, does not support variable size blocks: 512-byte blocks
> only---so burning it to a CD wouldn't get you booting anything. (@:

    The intent was to get the tarballs (of "dd" ("diddle and
duplicate"?) grabs from the tape) onto a media that I can take
to where I have a QIC drive to build a boot tape.  Remember I live
in the stone-age of Internet access; I have a dial-up line at home.

    Cheers!