[rescue] Two Sun Microsystems E5000 servers available in Boston

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:41:59 CDT 2007

On 8/23/07, Ahmed Ewing <aewing at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unlike the standalone E4000/4500 which features keyswitch and
> removable media tray assemblies, this unit features adapter assemblies
> which are basically interface extensions to the keyswitch and
> removable media assemblies housed in the full rack. Same for the power
> input--it's the socket used for connecting the box to the rack's power
> sequencer (which is controlled by the rack's keyswitch) and not a
> standard 110v/220v input.

As I was catching up with the thread, I was wondering when someone
would point that out...

BTW, I would assume it would fit in any pickup. I moved mine from
Raleigh to the triad in a Peugeot 505 wagon, with the trunk closed. A
word of warning, if it is loaded and with, say, a few D1000 or
something similar, we are talking > 1000lbs. The E5500 is taller and
more difficult to move, it wont fit in my car with the hatch closed.
Wont fit a minivan either. Even empty, the rack itself is hugely heavy
(either the e5000 or the e5500 rack0. We had to lift one in a uhaul
for our last move and that was quite the sport... I've moved all kinds
of other computers, but this is in the *be very carefull and have many
friends to help* category (or be insane and use a cherry picker to
pull it out of your car, like I did - not very safe in hindsight)

Francois