[rescue] Two Sun Microsystems E5000 servers available in Boston

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 19:18:23 CDT 2007

On 8/23/07, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
> > I don't think we have a vehicle big enough to put an E5000 into.
>
> An E5000 will pull out of its rack and be approximately the size of a
> SPARCserver 1000 (and identically the same size as an E4000).

With all this talk of pulling the logic chassis from the rack and
rescuing just that by itself--there's one major thing to remember with
the E5000/5500:

Unlike the standalone E4000/4500 which features keyswitch and
removable media tray assemblies, this unit features adapter assemblies
which are basically interface extensions to the keyswitch and
removable media assemblies housed in the full rack. Same for the power
input--it's the socket used for connecting the box to the rack's power
sequencer (which is controlled by the rack's keyswitch) and not a
standard 110v/220v input.

In other words, an E5000 isn't simply an E4000 in a rack... you can't
just pull it and expect to do anything with it unless you get the
necessary parts to convert it to an E4000, or unless you intend to
strip it for spares, in which case you might as well leave the chassis
in the rack and just yank boards... :-)

Hope that helps,

-A