[rescue] Replacing the CD-ROM with a DVD-ROM in an Ultra-5

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 21 23:57:33 CDT 2007

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2007/08/21 Tue AM 07:46:07 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Replacing the CD-ROM with a DVD-ROM in an Ultra-5

>On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 10:02:21AM +0200, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
>> Yesterday I was given an Ultra-5.  I'd like to replace the
>> Sun-standard IDE CD-ROM drive that came with it, with
>> a "vanilla" DVD drive.  I've put the hard drive and the DVD
>> drive onto one IDE channel each.  They're both jumpered
>> as "cable select".  The boot PROM (3.11) sees them, and
>> the DVD drive starts booting the Solaris-10 installer, but
>> then the kernel issues a timeout error, and the box resets.
>
>Try jumpering each as master.

This is a "it should just work" kind of thing...

Going back to the basics, the cable is a standard 40 conductor cable IDE
cable, correct? (Not an 80 wire, 40 pair "Ultra 133" cable)

It is not a "cable select" cable is it? The U5 should use a basic, 40 pin
cable, with the drives set to Master.

Aside from the above, I assume the DVD drive and cable iare known-good...

Lionel