[rescue] Historical Note - BayStack 350-24T Password Reset

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Aug 10 22:50:12 CDT 2007

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>>> From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net> Date:
>>> 2007/08/08 Wed PM 11:10:05 CDT To: The Rescue List
>>> <rescue at sunhelp.org> Subject: Re: [rescue] Historical Note -
>>> BayStack 350-24T Password Reset
>>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> I wouldn't hesitate if someone was selling one of these for $5....
>>> they worked well.
>>>
>>> I prefer Cisco because I know the interface/etc better... but I'd
>>> rather have the Baystack than a Linksys :-) !
>>>
>> Curt,
>>
>> Exactly. I have gotten fed-up with my Linksys "home" router/switch
>> and plan on graduating to a more "robust" solution. The Linksys
>> WAP/Router is running the latest "public" Sveasoft software, but it
>> still seems to wedge on a monthly basis. I could upgrade the software
>> on it, but I think I'll just run it as a WAP and maybe play around
>> with the Vyatta "open source" router on a low-end, low-power PC and a
>> nice, big 24 port switch instead...
>>

> I've been quite happy with my Cisco 7505 since I got it.

I've been using a Cisco 3620 for the longest time....  other than needing to
replace a couple of fans, clean it a few times, and give up on using the
internal flash SIMM (using a PCMCIA flash instead) it has been great.

The thing eats internal flash SIMMs.... I used to have to reload IOS
every 6 mos or so....  with a couple of those times leading to not
being able to reformat/reload the flash SIMM.... (not to mention the
utter inconvenience).  Once I switched to using PCMCIA flash... it has
been using the same IOS load for 2+ years w/o failure.  Odd.

-- Curt