[rescue] Solaris 9 NFS client with Linux server

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Aug 10 20:09:58 CDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 4:35 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> The obvious problem is that the E250 isn't all that fast[0].  It
> has two
> arrays, one which is good for about 15MB/s, and the other 20MB/s.
> Those
> are writes speeds.  I think the read speeds are closer to 20MB/s and
> 30MB/s respectively. Either of the linux machines managed to saturate
> the E250s disk bandwidth.  The e250 runs Solaris 9, BTW.  It is 2x300
> and 1.75 gigs of RAM.

There are various tunables in Solaris 9 that you should tune if you
are using the E250 as a fileserver for serving large files or large
number of files.

Unlike Linux, Solaris 9 will not use any available RAM as a disk
cache, you have to tell it the percentage of RAM to use.

see
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-7009

especially the section on NFS and on UFS tuning.

Personally I would recommend a reload if you can, with Solaris 10 on
it.  Make a mirrored root setup and the rest (data and /home etc.) ZFS.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net