[rescue] SGI IRIS 1200 in Massachusetts for $100 (eBay)

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Wed Aug 1 00:15:48 CDT 2007

> Didn't this use NEWS or something similar?

IRIS equipment did use NeWS in the 4D1-3.x days- I have a 4D/25 with
IRIX 4D1-3.3.2 and NeWS (good use for those 4D/3x boxes, with
PI-Eclipse graphics they can run 3.3.2/NeWS). The system ships with an
X11-on-NeWS server as well.

The transition to a straight X11 came with IRIX 4D1-4.0

IRIS-GL/OpenGL was used in the UI for many years, gr_osview and jot are
two examples.

Onyx4 was an interesting beast- Origin 300/3000 based compute engine
with (often) a graphics setup made up of XIO->AGP bridges and ATi
graphics cards. Didn't sell as well as the InfiniteReality series
(which may have been an option on Onyx4 also, I'm not completely up on
the hardware). SGI is pretty quiet about it- it didn't last long.