[rescue] Upgrading Ultra 2

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Thu Apr 19 13:37:05 CDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:03:09 -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Just as a goof, I dragged out my 1995 price book, made a few
> extrapolations, and figured out that the SGI Challenge I'm running
> would have listed for $940,000 when it was new.  Of course, you
> couldn't have actually _bought_ it in its current spec, since no one
> was making 18 GB hard drives, 32X SCSI CD drives, etc.

Not quite as expensive, but years ago at work I had an SGI PowerSeries
as my desktop workstation that had fallen out of the back of a large
pharmaceutical company. I priced up something similar to what I was
running (I'd merged three systems into one) ... $30,000 for the system
itself, and $300,000 for the VGX card set (no texture memory!), from
about 1989 prices.