[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Apr 14 08:00:02 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 09:04:01PM -0400, Steve Sandau wrote:
> I'm thinking up to $1,000 of tax return money may be available. I see
> that the Sun Ultra 20 starts at $895, but that only has 512M. It is,
> however, a 1.8GHz dual-core Opteron, which would certainly outperform my
> 2x300MHz/1G Ultra 2.

You can buy 3rd-party memory for the system easily.

> Anysystem also has Ultra 20s, but they don't mention price. I assume that
> would be less than a new unit from Sun...

They don't carry anything made in the past couple of years in stock.
You *can* purchase current product from them, but they don't keep a stock
of it.  Got a x2100 from them back in November, for example.

> Basically I'd like a faster main workstation that is not PeeCee crap. I
> have to deal with Dells and such all too often.

The U20 *is* basically just a peecee, but it's a well-built peecee.  I've
been impressed with the looks/build quality of the systems I deal with
at work.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford