[rescue] I got a new Octane! Why can't I talk to it?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Tue Apr 3 21:22:06 CDT 2007

Thanks to the gracious Steve, I'm now in possession of an SGI Octane :).

I'm probably just being dumb - I've never owned a *working* SGI
before - but what do I need to do in order to interact with it? I've
tried a sync-on-green monitor + PS/2 kb and mouse, but I get no video
signal. I also have a null modem cable and minicom hooked up to a
linux machine that didn't get me anywhere, even though I tried both
serial ports on the Octane.

When I boot up, I get the light on the front turning red for a while,
and then white. I hear noises like the disk is doing something, but I
never get anything over the serial port or video cable, and no
messages (or even garble) over the serial line.

Any suggestions?

  - Micah