[rescue] emo U60 moment (recommendation for SAPP on Solaris 10?)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 27 13:36:30 CST 2006

>From: Bryan Gurney <arb_npx42 at comcast.net>
>Date: 2006/11/26 Sun PM 11:05:50 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] emo U60 moment (recommendation for SAPP on Solaris 10?)

<snip>

>So basically the questions come down to:
>
>- What do you do to tighten down how wide-open Solaris 10 is by default?

Install only what you need (and update frequently) seems the best defense, after you decide it MUST be connected to the internet.

>- Any tips on running a SAPP machine? (Solaris Apache PostgreSQL PHP; to
>combat LAMP, or Linux Apache MySQL PHP).

Well, I'm not sure why you want to "combat" LAMP, but all the components you desire are available in the Solaris 10 distribution and Companion DVD iso files (Solaris 10 Companion DVD included PHP, MySQL, and I believe Postgres is also available). Of course, you may want/require to compile everything yourself (either for security or other reasons), but realize the software is available pre-built from Sun if you like...

I plan on making a SAMP box (Solaris, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) out of an older Netra w/1 Gig of RAM, 440 MHz CPU, and SCSI HDs, but I Haven't Gotten Around To It Yet.(tm)

Lionel